Monday, January 3, 2011

1/3/10

Morning Workout

Knuckle pushups 50, 40, 30, 20, 10
In between each set perform 10 finger pushups.

I was unable to complete the last set and a half of finger pushups.

Some people approach fitness... working out, with the intention of function. I want to look good. I don't want to die. I approach fitness, working out with the intention to have as much fun as I can. This workout is a good example of it.

Knuckle and finger pushups are common staples of a martial arts regimen. Knuckle pushups create excellent hand and wrist stability allowing a fighter to punch at full force without worrying about breaking their hand. Finger pushups should be in the diet of every grappler.

I am not a martial artist. I perform these movements because I enjoy new challenges. 10 finger pushups is quite difficult. The muscles aren't worked very much, but your fingers feel as if they're going to explode in a bloody mess. My muscles can handle it. Can my mind keep pushing even when my fingers are screaming at me to stop? The extent of my will was 34 finger pushups today. I didn't push out the 35th.

But that's OK. That's why I'm going to come back. And again. And again. This is how the body learns its limits -- by continually pushing against them.

Train hard.

LINKS: RossTraining.com was the major website that helped me learn a whole universe about athletics. Ross has been a great example for me to follow and I love the fact that he answers his e-mails personally. You can read more about hand training in this blog post.

==============================================================
EVENING WORKOUT

4 hours helping a friend move.

Fitness doesn't require special techniques and gadgets. It requires getting your ass in gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment