Monday, January 10, 2011

1/10/11



Just spent an hour trying to teach myself how to jump rope.

I've been working on remembering the importance of fundamentals and jumping rope is one such fundamental. I remember an anecdote that Ross shared in his training manuals. Fighters that he trained alongside and worked with often wanted to lift weights and get stronger or hit the punching bag to let off steam but very few fighters wanted to jump rope and improve their stamina, endurance and hand-eye coordination. The losers of a fight often remark how tired they were or how heavy their arms felt.

Basics.

If I've learned anything over the course of my years, it's the importance of foundations and fundamentals.  You can only build as high as you've dug deep. There's never any substitute for foundation work. I could do all the peripheral stuff I want but at the end of the day, I'll stand or fall on the integrity of my foundation.

Jumping rope reminds me of this truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment