Sunday, April 3, 2011

Only way to do it

is to overdo it.

The first race I ever ran was back in 2007. A half-marathon. The Brooklyn. I trained for it by running a grand total of 3 times. A 3-mile run, a 6-mile run, and an almost 9 mile run. I finished the race on sheer willpower, with both calves, both hamstrings and both quads having cramped up.

Yesterday, I ran the World Vision Half Marathon in Vibram Five Fingers. My first race ever in Vibram Five Fingers and my first distance over 10k in Vibram Five Fingers.

It hurt.

I also found out that Flushing has terrible roads outside the park as well as inside the park.

Mud.
Glass.
Gravel.
Debris.

I felt it all.

My calves felt it more.

My feet felt it most of all.

But I did it. And were it not for calf cramps at mile 9, I would've hit a PR by 20 minutes.

Season's only beginning.

Today? Yeah. Today was a recovery day.

No comments:

Post a Comment